HomeBlocking Unwanted Calls - Android
Blocking Unwanted Calls on Android Phones
Because the Android operating system is used and modified by various phone makers, some of the following options may or may not work depending on the age and brand of your phone. However, using as many of these options as possible will reduce the number of unwanted calls you receive.
Option 1: Automatically screen calls (only works with Google Phone or Voice apps)
Recommended option but may not work for every phone. Your phone will automatically ask the unknown caller to identify themselves and why they are calling while at the same time showing you a transcript. It will then give you the option to decline if the call if it does not seem legitimate.
Open the Phone app
- Tap More options""Settings Spam and Call Screen
- Make sure See caller and spam ID is turned on
- Tap Call Screen
- Under “Unknown call settings,” tap the types of callers you’d like to screen. To screen automatically, choose"Automatically screen, Decline robocalls." Otherwise, choose from:
- Ring phone
- Automatically screen. Decline robocalls.
- Silently decline
Option 2: Block spam numbers that you receive spam calls from.
Open your device's Phone app .
- Go to Recent calls.
- Tap the call you want to report as spam.
- Tap Block / report spam. You'll be asked if you want to block the number. (You may have to go to History, then More in the top right to see these options.)
- If you have the option, tap Report call as spam, then Tap Block.
Option 3: Block all calls not in your contacts
Go to your phone's Settings (app with gear icon).
- Tap Sound & vibration → select Do Not Disturb.
- Tap People → Calls and select Contacts and whichever option you prefer
- Note: this only works if you set your phone to Do Not Disturb mode and if you have placed the phone numbers of people, doctor’s offices, etc. who you call or who call you regularly into your regular contacts.
Option 4: Block unknown numbers
Open the Phone app.
- Tap More options , and then tap Settings.
- Go to Blocked numbers, Unknown and click the slider so it turns blue. This will block calls from any unknown number.
- In the Blocked numbers setting, you can also manually type in numbers to block but because spam callers constantly change numbers this is not the best method and the previously explained methods work better.